Monday, December 8, 2008

Between the decades...

Food for thought:

When I think of the decades, I can clearly picture images, icons, and general feelings that represent that specific decade.

The 50s had Leave it to Beaver families, clean cut, sock hops. The 60s and 70s had hippies, free spirits, political turmoil, and bell bottoms. 80s had Flock of Seagulls, neon colors and really bad hair. 90s brought Kurt Cobain, grunge, and great tv sitcoms.

Nothing surprising or odd about that list. But I started to think about the transitioning of the decades. How culture went from one to the next, especially now as we start to repeat ourselves. And they all make sense, with one exception.

I have no idea how the world went from the 70s to the 80s. One day its bell bottoms, world peace, and acid....and the next its St Elmos Fire, shoulder pads, and stirrup pants. I think my confusion has a lot to do with the massive technology upgrade in that few years. But still, its such a weird jump to make.

Anyways. That's just my take on it. Thoughts?

1 comment:

DeMo said...

Have you thought about what "they" are going to call the 2000s? Is this decade going to be the ohs, the zeros, the thousands? and the next decade... the twenty-tens?

Found your blog through Lindsay's (trepidatious), and I'm also doing DPP.