Thursday, December 18, 2008

DPP18: Dentist Torture.



This image to me is probably one of the most anxiety ridden images I ever see. The dentist office. I start to get what I would assume is close to a panic attack about a week before I go. The day before is always the worst. I make sure to schedule the appointment first thing in the morning so I dont go insane waiting.

I didnt used to have this intense fear. Its not even really fear, its just aggrivation and a nice cocktail of other negative emotions. It really started only a few years ago. Well, maybe more than a few, probably high school. My dentist visits tend to last around two hours, which I have been told is not normal. Plus, it usually involves unpleasant amounts of pain, and always ends up me having to go back, not for cavities, but for other things like "dents" whatever that means. It's miserable.

So today was that day for me. I tried to ignore the anxiety, and did a little better than usual, but to no avail, still atrocious feelings coming my direction. But I lived through it. Like always. And I am counting it as a quasi Christmas Miracle that I was only there for an hour today! And while I will be returning in a month, its not for the usual suspects.

Since forever, I have had a gap in my front teeth. The only way of fixing it is braces, but I would pretty much have to wear a retainer for life. Not a huge fan. I go through stages of loving and hating it. But recently, it's grown on me. Madonna's got one, Lawrence Fishbourne rocks his. So imagine my surprise when my dentist asks me today if I want him to close it up. My shock must have been all over, cause he went on to explain that the bond in my front tooth (taboggoning accident at age 7, a WHOLE other story) should be replaced with some new material that didn't even exist back then, and while they do that, they can just close up the gap. Easy peasy. Takes half an hour. No pain (which I found amusing that he pointed it out specifically).

At first, I was like, OF COURSE! SIGN ME UP! But then I immediately wonder how much it will change my face. I think it will almost be surprising how much it changes everything. The wonder must have read across my face because he went on to tell me that it is reversible, in fact, David Letterman got his reversed a number of years back, because they found that without the gap, people found him less funny.

So we shall see. I plan on going through with it. And if it's just not me. Back comes the gap with all its glory and wonder!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I had a small gap in between my teeth, and the dentist totally fixed it with bonding. Best decision ever. In dental matters, anyway.

Oh, and sea salt on chocolate chip cookies? Divine.