Tuesday, February 24, 2009

White Paris.

Our last full day in Paris started with a big white bang. It had snowed for a good portion of the night, and was still snowing by the time that we headed out for the day. Of course Kristan and Ryan, being from Cali, were thrilled with this precipitation situation.
After a mishap of going the wrong direction on the metro, we made it to the right stop and walked up the only hill in Paris to make it to the bottom of Sacre Cour. With the snow and steep stairs, we decided to take the Funicular up to the top.
We took a few pictures against the church and made the slow wander around until we came across the artist's district. Not many people, but on the outskirts was the Dali Museum, our first stop for the day. Tim is a huge Dali fan, so he was super looking forward to it, and even I, who is less interested in the artist, thought it was pretty cool. It was a lot bigger than I expected, and had a lot of his earlier works, which I found i liked a lot more than his older more famous pieces. But it was artwork, sculpture, displays, art in every single medium possible. Sadly, we found the gift shop closed. Boo.

We parted ways with Ryan and Kristan, went inside the Sacre Cour and checked out the area pretty quickly. By this point, the snow had made everything wet, so not only were we cold, we were slush filled! But Tim drug us to the Luxembourg Jardin, which had been on my list to see, just not if it was this cold.

Once out of the metro, we walked the wrong direction for quite some time, but finally made it to the park. It was HUGE. Way bigger than I had expected, its a famous park that has a ton of famous statues and sculptures spread throughout. My goal was to see the Medici Fountain. We trekked through the gardens, my sniffles worsening, and by the time we found, I was miserable. But the Fountain was pretty sweet, much larger than I had expected.
I had had it, being the huge brat that I am, as we exited the park and wandered around trying to make up our decision, I threw a Anti-Paris tempertantrum. I must say, it was some of my best work, despite the fact that Tim just laughed at me through the whole thing. I hated being cold, wet, and I hated everything French including the people, and i was hungry and all I wanted was to go to a restaurant where the waiter wouldn't be rude, I knew how to order, what i was ordering, and that it would be good. I wanted Paris without the Parisians!

We eventually came across a mall, and inside this mall was a little cafe thing, so we thought we would take a peek at the rest of the mall, and right across from the Gap.....an Irish Pub!!!! Yay. Menu in English, with Irish waitresses. And REALLY good food. It was the happiest meal! We even found nothing wrong with being charged literally (no exaggeration) 6 dollars a piece for a bottle of diet coke! Mmm...the price you pay for relaxation!
After our meal was when we caught up with Ryan and Kristan at the Lourve. For more on that "lovely" experience, check it out here: Not Loving the Lourve.

No comments: