Thursday, February 19, 2009

Not Loving the Lourve...

I have totally been procrastinating my last and final day in Paris, aka the last in a long series of trip posts. And I plan on continuing such procrastination since it was the longest day and most eventful day on the planet!

BUT. I will at least go into the afternoon. Well, part of it at least. It involves one location. The Lourve. The most overrated museum in the galaxy. Seriously. From earlier events in the day, by the time we got to the Lourve around 3 in the afternoon, I was a very unhappy camper, and totally expecting to be perked up by the most famous art museum I know. We walked into the courtyard from a side entrance, and the first words out of Tim's mouth were, "The Land at Disney World is more impressive." Totally true. And I feel this picture shows my sentiments...

Old buildings that surround a medium sized glass triangle. Big whup. Although I was surprised, and even more disappointed to find out that the glass pyramid is actually the entrance. If it were an art sculpture that isn't practical, it might be a bit cooler. But no.

We make it in, rather quickly actually, so that was a definite plus. We figure out how to get to the Mona Lisa, where we were meeting Ryan and Kristan. I think its interesting that instead of signs to the famous pieces, they just have pictures of the art with arrows pointing the right way. Smart, really. But we kept on walking endless hallways of old art until we got to the Mona Lisa, where we took the obligatory pictures.

We found a bench and waited for our lovely pals, who found us super quick and were as unenthused as we were. But being in the Lourve, we figured we had to see at least part of it.

Ryan was interested in the Egyptian stuff, so we headed there. I must admit, once we got there it was cool. Not the actual artifacts, but the rooms. It used to be a palace, so the moldings and paintings of each room were totally different, but very fascinating to look at....for 30 seconds per room.

The Egyptian section was huge, but we made it through, and made it to the basement, where they have the old Moat to the palace. I really liked that part. Back up to exit, where I took a picture of Venus de Milo's (aka Aphrodite's) butt. Everyone takes the picture from the front! I went against the grain...

We also found a boy who finally got sick of Afflack commercials...

We searched the million different gift shops in the middle of the Museum, and still found nothing for the people we wanted to get things for. I LOVE art museum gift shops, I really do. I usually could spend hours there, but the ones there were really disappointing. The only cool part was they had a separate gift shop for kid stuff only. Still found nothing. BUT! We did find the one and only Starbucks of the WHOLE trip. If we werent on our way to dinner and the line wasnt 20 people long, I would have indulged in its awesomeness (yes, I like my corporate latte, sue me).

And then....it was the icing on the cake of an awful EF experience...but more on that later :)

2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

So sorry to hear you did not find your experience more satisfying. I remember being shocked at how small the Mona Lisa is.
I do understand what you are saying though. I still loved going there.

Clare & Tim said...

You know, knowing what I do now about it, I would still have done it....its just one of those places that is a lifetime must.

And it did make for some pretty entertaining pictures that haven't been posted. Including one of my husband and our friend next to stone monkeys doing their best impression....