Monday, August 22, 2011

Good luck finding that Gold....

In Colorado, you can't ignore this history of thegood old fashioned west. Well, I could celebrate it by just looking upon the gold laden mountains, but my mother cannot be so passive about it. Brought on by her childhood of doing so, she must take us all out to the old crumbling mines and walk around staring at the ground looking for something nice and sparkly. I ususally forego the actual gold hunting part and just enjoy the scenery and amuse at the image of my family SCOURING the ground that has been searched for the past 10+ decades.


One plus to the days on the mountain though are getting to see these totally awesome run down, half demolished, miner's buildings. Getting to explore those is pretty interesting. Another is the picnic lunches on the side of the mountains. Always the same since I was little, chips and sandwiches made that morning. I think it tastes better in the fresh air...
Dad found his piece of Fools Gold. Maybe he can finally get that Ferrari!



But sometimes you just gotta get a cool yoga shot....
This trip though, we found this Mining Museum that Mom wanted to check out. Here's hoping that once was enough, lots of rocks, lots of displays from 1976. Although there was a section dedicated to the uses of the minerals found in the mountains. Here, Tim ponders his environmental footprint on the world...
We also took a tour up in this totally podunk town. We had a feeling right away that it wasn't going to be quite what most would expect from an educational tour. And oh my were we right. I can't even begin to describe how the tour went, but I think if I give you this one image of our "Guide" then you will understand how it ended up going for us. Let me also just say, her mental acuteness and social apptitude match her dental hygiene....


That's a good place to wrap up. Now go brush your teeth.

No comments: