Thursday, October 22, 2009

Throwback Thursday: Why I Hate Guac.



When I was in 7th grade, a group of students from the other school in town for a two week trip to Temuco, Chile. We knew one of the head chaperones on the trip, so my mother and I tagged along for the exchange. It was a home stay, only we stayed in different families homes. It was a very interesting experience to say the least.

But one thing about the trip plagues me to this day. I cannot stomach guacamole still. My family felt that I shouldn't eat anything fresh (because it might make me sick?) which means no fruit or veggies. I was stuck eating weird cereal with yogurt, and coca cola. That seems like thats all I had. Except for when we went to McDonalds. I was still at a point in my life where McDonalds was ok to eat, and I got so excited to be eating "real" food for once. Only, in Chile, instead of ketchup, they put guacamole on their hamburgers. They put guacamole on EVERYTHING.

I was traumatized. I still can't eat it. Its like green mayonnaise. Yuck. And yes, I have tried it since I was 13. I have tried homemade, I have tried restaurant, I have tried a teensy bite of all kinds. Bleck!

There are many other parts of that trip that I remember, the Termas, the giant power plant at the Dam, the government offices, the family I stayed with, the school, going to another school for some sort of dance presentation, but that guacamole instance....it haunts me.

No comments: