Thursday, August 14, 2008

Philadelphia Family Reunion 2008


Most people don't enjoy their family reunions. Especially when they really don't know any of the people that will be there, remember their names, or even know how they are related to them. I, however, was giddy about this past 4th of July so I could fly out with my mom and brother (Tim joined the next day) to Pennsylvania to attend the Roskamp Family Reunion. My mom and I went to the one five years ago, and I have been enamored since. Something about the place (Thomas Mill Farms, a huge property with a wheel house, gardener house, bamboo forrest, EVERYTHING) and all the people around eating and drinking. Its like people watching heaven.

Despite my mother having boarding pass issues in Waterloo (the worst airport on the planet, everyone there has a MAJOR power trip), we arrived in time for the barbecue by the creek. It was rather awkward when people think that my brother is my husband. I know they haven't seen Chris since he was a baby, or met Tim ever, but still, creepy ew. The first night is always the weirdest because you have no idea who anyone is and being introduced to 50 people all at once leaves little chance to actually remember anyone's names let alone relation. Add about 10 glasses of wine and beer PER person, and you have a mental mesh of mayhem!

The next day (Happy Independence Day!), we picked up Tim in a nearby town that has an Amtrak. Wayne, PA is the cutest most perfect town. An array of unique restaurants. A quirky mix of shops down a neat and tidy main street. An old time movie theater. And more yoga studios than I have ever seen in a ten mile radius. Adorable. Back at the Mills, we got a private tour of the bamboo forrest in the backyard. It was so in the middle of nowhere and random, it was like you stepped into a story book, with a panda hanging out just around the corner. These things are a lot of chillin out, on one of the many porches and decks or dens that they have. That afternoon, Tim and I were doing such with my grandma when the lady of the house asked us to make a liquor store run for her. We figured out that we were the designated runners because everyone else in the house old enough to have a license, was too buzzed at 2pm to drive to the store to get the "largest bottles you can find" of Jack Daniels and Grey Goose. THESE are the people you want to party with. Remember, that 60% are over 70, and 90% are over 40. And of course, only hours later was cocktail hour by the pool before the Independence Day BBQ feast. Its ridiculous what these people have catered. 3 ten foot long tables full of food. Gourmet food. Plus an ice cream bar with at least 10 different kinds of toppings. Insane. But delightful! Then come the embarrassing family stories about how my great aunt was born due to a pastor recommending birth control. And how she was almost named Iowa. Top it all off with a private fire works show, with several nearly killing people by shooting off the wrong way, and you have a grand Fourth of July!

That last day that my mother and brother were in town, the four of us drove to Amish country. The Amish culture has fascinated me since I was very little. I dont know why really, I have absolutely no desire to live in that manner, but I just find it most intriguing. So anytime I have the chance to be around it, sign me up! We took the Straasburg Railroad, slightly disappointed that we didnt see more Amish countryside since it was so short. We headed through the Lancaster countryside, taking as many discrete pictures as we could, and hitting up the Amish shops at Intercourse, PA. *insert own joke here* (no pun intended). Back at the Mills, our final Reunion activity was to witness the Family Talent Show. Most acts involved the little kids doing gymnastics or singing. But the top two acts were several of the older women singing about Menopause. And my personal favorite, my straight laced grandfather and his brothers, dressed up like the Beatles, lip syncing "I wanna hold your hand." Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6F8fAXOGz8 We were all crying with laughter. And after that, we rushed my mom and brother off to the airport to say goodbye. And of course, on the shuttle between the car rental and airport, I cant find my cell phone. So we have a rapid good bye as Tim and I go in search for it and start our own Philadelphia Phenomenon!





1 comment:

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Wow! That's quite the entertaining trip!