Monday, March 9, 2009

A few faves....

First off, 100th post. :)

My thoughts the past week or so have been consumed by the upcoming spring break. The Nordyke clan is heading down south for the traditional week of Disney excitement. The weather teased me for two days last week, peaking above 60, and has since gone back down to 30s. It just made the wait for Florida palm trees and necessary air conditioning that much more.

But I have been keeping busy with plenty of dvds at work. I know, I know, I have a cush job, but come on, who wouldn't want to be in my shoes on that one. Anyways. After How I Met Your Mother, I kept on the Jason Segel train towards Freaks and Geeks. Which has now coincided with Undeclared, staying on the Seth Rogan and Judd Apatow vibe.

This crazy train of tv on dvd has led me to a decision. All through film school, we were constantly asked our favorite films, directors, producers, yada yada yada. I never had answers, always making them up, mainly because I am such a teeter totter and my favorites were a constant rotation of what I'd seen recently.

I CAN ANSWER NOW. Well, sort of. I've got it narrowed down.

I know its pretty much all I've been watching recently, but Judd Apatow creates a show worth watching. Between the two, the cat is one hella cool creator. His background stories of his characters and their lives, mixed with the fact that he hires the actors, and then revolves his characters around the actors, makes for a show with chemistry beyond chemistry!


But, with this love, I must also vow allegiance to Joss Whedon. I mentioned it in a prior post, but the man does clever wit drama like a god. For examples, watch Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, or Dr. Horrible's Sing a long Blog. Prepare to love them and laugh hilariously at them. Enough said.




As for film, I am a Kevin Smith fan, but more of his personal work more than films, although a good dose of Clerks II can make me more chipper. But his book and dvds of his stand up are the better of his works. The dude has got clever humor oozing from his pores. Can't help it. I mean, thats what you get for sticking it in battery acid....



I must admit though, I am really looking forward to how Tucker Max does as a filmmaker. The kid wrote one ridiculously insane book, How to Serve Beer in Hell, and is now turning it into a movie. I've been following the blog, and think it might be quite the masterpiece....

Sorry if this post bored you. Just some random creative thoughts. Not even my own creativity, the witnessing of other's creative juice flowage.....

No comments: