Monday, September 22, 2008

Purple Mountains Majesty


I love Colorado. Plain and simple. Ever since I can remember, my family has gone to Colorado more often than any other destination, with exception of Disney. And every time, it is exactly what we need.

Something about the mountain fresh air, the cool crispness in the morning, that continues on into the day. The smell of trees. Or even just the simple fact that every day has no plan other than waking up and doing anything we feel like.

We almost always stay at Copper Mountain Resort.
A full on lodge with absolute everything on its grounds that you could ever imagine or want. Its gorgeous, its posh, and its close to all the towns that we love to go to. Vail, for the shopping. Breckenridge for the BBQ and the Alpine Slides. Denver for some Rockies baseball. And all of the mountain trails and scenic routes that you could ever desire.

When I was little, we would do a lot more scenic driving. We would wake up, and eat powdered sugar donuts on the porch. Mom would pack us sack lunches and we would head up the mountains, having a picnic by whatever stream was prettiest. I wasn't one for hours and hours of nature, so mom packed boxes of Boxcar Children and Babysitters Club books. I could have one a day, so I wouldn't go through them too fast.

Now a days, there's a lot more going through towns, exploring, a lot more eating at interesting looking restaurants, and a lot more relaxing. Us kids don't have to be constantly moving anymore, and just sitting and chilling, is a-ok by all. There's walking trails, shops, ski lifts, pools, spas, and everything all within the lodge, so its not like we are ever stuck.

One thing that we never miss though, is those Breckenridge Alpine Slides. You buy your tickets, and in line you get to head up the ski lifts. Ski lifts are terrifying. If you are ever on one with me, you must sit perfectly still. I am pretty much fine as long as they dont rock. But as soon as it starts rocking, Im done, even when it just passes the big pole things. I had a experience once where I couldnt get on in time, and it basically left without me all the way on. They caught me, but it was BAD. I also feel like the cars are just going to tear off at anypoint. ANYWAY. Up the 5 minute ski lifts, and then you grab your plastic sled off the back of the lift and carry it a ways before you get on the slide, and then you slide down the side of the mountain on the sled. You control your own speed and it tilts and swerves all the way down. Then you do it all over again. Its amazing. Fun for everyone.

Colorado is one of my favorite places. Cities have everything, and yet are minutes away from being lost in the middle of nowhere. Best of both worlds. Clean air, great smell, endless sky. Its too bad Colorado isn't everywhere.

No comments: