Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011: Feast!


We take a break from our regularly scheduled DPP to bring you Thanksgiving. Over a week ago. Almost two weeks ago actually. Oops. But between my parents leaving the day after, multiple added games at UNI, my brother's knee surgery, and whatnot, I have been a rich busy going to and from and from and to everywhere.

This year, we had a solid 12 people. We usually only have the eight of us, (grandparents, uncle, my immediate family) but this year, the Gilbertson family joined in the festivities. It was a nice addition, and it gave me quite the reason to go out and make extra food. If you are new to this (very new, cause it doesn't take long to figure out) that I love baking, cooking, anything food related. But I don't have many occasions to make as much as I want to make without becoming 400+ pounds myself having had to eat it all. So this was the occasion! I started a few days early, making a little bit each night, but in the long run, my contributions were: broccoli salad, corn pudding, cubed sweet potato casserole, a cream mushroom tart, an onion apple puff pastry, cranberry sauce, cherry pie, goat cheese pumpkin cheesecake, and a carrot cake.
So clearly plenty of food was to be consumed!
The unfortunate part was that I had a volleyball tournament that same afternoon (all weekend really, of the holiday, totally bogus) so we had to have an early meal, and it was virtually a race through it all, straight into the massive amounts of desserts before I had to zoom off to work for the rest of the day. Needless to say, I don't think I have to comment on how I feel about working on a holiday like that. Weekend of, a little more acceptable. But 3pm on Thanksgiving....ugh.


I did get my favorite part though, feeding the outdoor cats their yearly turkey carcass. Its always a brutal massacre and AWESOME to watch.

No comments: